Siri is a virtual voice assistant for Apple devices. You can set alarms, find answers to questions, and much more with it. Here’s how to activate Siri on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, Mac, HomePod, Apple TV, and supported vehicles.
How can you activate Siri?
Here are all the ways to activate Siri on different Apple devices:
- Press and hold the side, top, or Home button on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Hold down Command + Spacebar on your Mac.
- Click the Siri icon in your Mac’s menu bar, Dock, or Touch Bar.
- Hold the main button on your EarPods or other wired headphones.
- Double-tap the 1st and 2nd generation AirPods.
- Pinch the leg of AirPods Pro and 3rd generation AirPods.
- Squeeze the Digital Crown on the AirPods Max.
- Squeeze the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch.
- Raise your Apple Watch to your mouth and say a command.
- Press the Siri extension on the Apple Watch face.
- Say “Hey Siri” next to any supported device like iPhone, iPad, AirPods, Apple Watch, Mac, and HomePod.
- Press the Siri button on your Apple TV remote.
- Press and hold the HomePod and HomePod mini touchpad.
- Press the voice control button in your CarPlay or Siri Eyes Free car.
Now let’s talk in more detail about the different ways to activate Siri on other devices.
How to use Siri on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
In February 2010, Siri appeared as an app in the iOS App Store, then two months later, Apple made it a built-in feature on the iPhone 4S running iOS 5. Since then, the virtual assistant has been a built-in feature of the iOS system.
The Siri app is no longer available in the App Store, and the assistant cannot be used on third-party devices.
When you set up your device, you probably turned on Siri. During the first setup, the Siri enable interface appears. If you haven’t done so, here’s how to fix it:
1) Open the “Settings” and select” of Siri and search.”
2) Enable the “Call Siri side button,” “Call Siri top button,” or a “Call Siri home button.”
3) Now, turn on the “Siri with screen lock” option to activate the assistant even on a locked device.
4) Finally, turn on the Listen “Hey Siri” option and configure it. It is best to do this in a quiet room.
You have turned on Siri, and now let’s talk about how you can activate the virtual assistant.
Activating Siri on iPhone
- Hold down the side button on iPhones 13, 12, 11, XS, XR, and X.
- On iPhone SE 2020, 8, 7, 6S, SE, 6, 5S, 5, 5C, and 4S, hold down the Home button.
- On iPhone 6S, 7, 8, X, XR, XS, 11, 12, and 13, say “Hey Siri .”
- On iPhone 6 and older models with iOS 8 and later, “Hey Siri” activation only works while charging.
Activating Siri on iPod touch
- Hold down the Home button.
Activating Siri on iPad
- On an iPad without a Home button, hold down the top button.
- On an iPad with a Home button, hold down the Home button.
- Say “Hey Siri” next to a supported iPad.
Which iPad models support Hey Siri?
These iPad models support the activation of the virtual assistant with the phrase “Hey Siri” even without connecting to a charger:
- iPad Air (3rd and 4th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 ″ (2nd generation or later)
- iPad Pro (11-inch)
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
- iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
- iPad (6th generation or later)
How to use Siri on Apple Watch
Siri is included on all Apple Watch models. Unlike AirPods, Siri on Apple Watch works independently of the iPhone, provided the smartwatch is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
To get started, Siri on your Apple Watch needs to be turned on:
1) Press the Digital Crown to see a list of all your apps and select Settings.
2) Scroll down and select Siri.
3) Turn on the Listen “Hey Siri,” “Raise to Speak,” and “Digital Crown” options.
Using the Apple Watch app, you can also do this on a tethered iPhone.
Here’s how to activate Siri on Apple Watch:
- Hold the Digital Crown.
- Say, “Hey Siri .“All Apple Watch models support this method.
- Bring your hand with the watch to your mouth and start talking. This feature is available on Apple Watch Series 3 and later with watchOS 5 and later.
- Press the Siri extension on the Apple Watch face.
How to use Siri on AirPods
AirPods can’t handle your Siri requests independently; they only relay them to the connected device. It can be iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch.
Here’s how to activate Siri on different AirPods:
- AirPods 1st and 2nd generation: Double-tap any earbud.
- AirPods Pro and AirPods 3rd generation: Pinch one earbuds’ leg. The pressure sensor is located exactly in the “leg.”
- AirPods Max: Hold the Digital Crown.
- For AirPods 2nd generation and newer, AirPods Pro and AirPods Max, you can also use the phrase “Hey Siri.”
You don’t need to turn on Siri for AirPods. The settings you selected for the iPhone are relevant for the headphones. If you have Hey Siri turned on on your iPhone, it is automatically available for AirPods as well.
With Apple Watch, everything is different; the smartwatch settings do not depend on the settings of the iPhone.
How to use Siri on Mac
Macs with macOS Sierra and later have Siri support. You were prompted to turn on Siri when setting up your new or refurbished Mac. If you haven’t, then here’s how to fix it:
1) Click the Apple icon on the menu bar and choose System Preferences.
2) Here, select the Siri section.
3) Check the box next to Enable “Ask of Siri.»
4) Here, you can configure how Siri works.
You can activate Siri on Mac and MacBook in the following ways:
- Hold down Command + Spacebar until the Siri interface appears. In Siri settings, the keyboard shortcut can be changed to your own.
- Click the Siri icon in the menu bar.
- Click the Siri icon on the Touch Bar of supported MacBooks.
- Click the Siri icon in the Dock, Launchpad, or Applications folder.
- Say “Hey Siri” on supported Macs. The feature works even with locked Mac computers, but not when the MacBook lid is closed.
Which Mac models support Hey Siri?
- MacBook Pro 2018 and newer
- MacBook Air 2018 and newer
- iMac Pro
- iMac 2020 and newer
How to use Siri on HomePod
The original HomePod speaker and HomePod mini support Siri. The virtual assistant is activated by the phrase “Hey Siri” or by pressing the touchpad on the speaker.
How to use Siri on Apple TV
All versions of tvOS support Siri. Hold down the Siri button on the remote to activate Siri on Apple TV. When you make your request, release the button.
How to activate Siri in your car
More than 600 car models support CarPlay. Siri can be activated in supported vehicles by pressing the voice control button.
You can also activate Siri by holding down the Home button on the CarPlay touchscreen.
Siri Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make Siri listen longer?
Do you need to say a long-phrase with pauses? Keep holding the Side, Top, or Home button even after the Siri interface appears. Siri will listen to you for as long as you hold the button. Otherwise, the assistant will stop listening immediately after the pause.
Can Siri reply with text?
The Siri settings on iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch, select the “Answers Siri » and adjust it according to your preferences.
Siri doesn’t understand me well, how to fix it?
To make Siri work as well as possible, you need to choose your language and accent. For some languages, multiple accents and dialects are available.
Can Siri respond with a male voice?
Indeed, in the Siri settings, select “Voice Siri,» where the virtual assistant’s voice can be changed.
Works whether the function “Hey, Siri» in power save mode?
Does Hey Siri work with iPhone facedown?
By default, no, but if you wish, you can change this via the “Settings”> “Accessibility”> of Siri > “Always listen to Hi, of Siri.”
Can Siri return to full screen?
Before iOS 14, Siri was displayed on full screen, but now it appears as a small banner. The old design can be reverted through Settings> Accessibility > Siri. Here you need to disable the option “Apps in the background behind Siri.”
Can Siri requests be typed in the text?
Siri printable prompts are available in iOS 11 and later. Enable is possible through the “Settings”> “Accessibility”> of Siri > “Enter text of Siri “ .
Siri, the best virtual assistant?
It’s a matter of taste. Third-party virtual assistants are limited on Apple devices, so Siri is the best option. Overall, however, Google Assistant wins because it’s a little smarter.
Can Siri be installed on Android or Windows?
Can I use Amazon’s Google Assistant or Alexa on iPhone and iPad?
You can download the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa apps from the App Store.